[Samba] Compiling Samba 3.0.4, err w/ krb5

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Thu Jul 22 12:54:00 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 07:46, Poulson, Shawn wrote:
> I don't care for being patronized.  I had a question, and I get this
> condescending reply.  Thanks, but no thanks.

I wasn't patronizing you. It was not condescending. It was a polite
reminder to ask good questions. You think it is a simple question you
asked, it is not.

I could have given you the standard tirade that people asking your kind
of bad questions get on the mailing lists I am on that are technical in
nature, but not Windows in nature.

You see, many people that have been long using Unix, Linux or *BSD,
understand how to ask good questions, yet it seems from my perspective
and many others that people coming or 95% of the time being in a
"Windows"[tm] world, ask questions that are not quite as complete.

Therefore when dealing with a heavy technical group such as the samba
mailing list, where traceback stacks are commonly referred to or the
error logs say "Read the Bugs Appendix" others typically known what the
heck they are talking about.

Please, think about including details of the system(s) you are dealing
with. Then and only then can someone with the knowledge you are *ASKING
FOR* can make a proper response to your problem. Being snide and asking
stupid questions are not garnering you any goodwill.

Thank you my dear for really hitting this idea home for me, without your
ability to dig deeper, the message would not have come across as well.

Now, that we are past the pleasantries, What kind of a system are you
running, is it Linux, *BSD or Commercial Unix? If so, What version and
possibly which Distro are you using? Have you searched for a prebuilt
Binary that may fit your needs?

Please cut the pleasantries and just answer the questions. This is NOT
SAP you are dealing with here, Deary.
greg, greg at gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster: Linux