[Samba] NTLMv2 Authentication fails on domain member servers

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jul 22 00:53:31 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-10 at 07:24, Neal K.Groothuis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm having some issues with getting NTLMv2 authentication working, and
> I thought you might be able to help.  I've got a Windows XP
> Pro client machine trying to access shares on a domain member server
> running Samba.  (Both the domain member server and the PDC
> are running Samba 3.0.4.)  The XP machine is by default configured to
> use NTLMv2 for authentication, but that fails when I'm trying to access
> shares on the domain member server.  However, it works when I'm
> accessing shares on the PDC itself.  Alternatively, this works if I
> allow the
> XP machine to use NTLM authentication.  Has anyone else run into this
> issue and/or have any workarounds for it?  I know that there were
> issues previously with using NTLMv2 only with a Samba PDC, but
> according to the Changelog, that bug was fixed in 3.0.3.

Can you give me more details on this?

I thought NTLMv2 was working everywhere - and the domain member really
should not break it, as it just forwards things on.

The one thing that *will* break it is 'username map'.  If that's not in
use, please send me some logs (CC me, I don't follow this list all the
time) and I'll see if I can understand what's up...

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at samba.org
Authentication Developer, Samba Team            http://samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net