[Samba] Compiling Samba 3.0.4, err w/ krb5

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Wed Jul 21 20:55:49 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 11:46, Poulson, Shawn wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I'm not attempting an install of Samba 3.0.4 from source.  I want to
> specifically compile in ads and winbindd support.  So, I already
> compiled and installed OpenLDAP 2.2.13.
If you are not attempting to install samba from source, how are you
going to get ads and winbindd support? What does OpenLDAP have to do
with doing up samba for ads and winbind?

> Now the configure script is hung on krb5 dependancy:
> checking for krb5.h... no
> configure: error: Active Directory cannot be supported without krb5.h

That is a sticker. you need to have  version of krb5 installed, either
MIT or HEIMDAL.

> So I downloaded and attempted compile of krb5 1.3.4, but I got this
> error:
> /root/stuff/krb5-1.3.4/src/appl/telnet/telnet/telnet.c:783: undefined
> reference to `tgetent'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> Upon searching kerberos list archives, there was a complaint about
> this error and having to reinstall ncurses to satisfy this reference.

Good on the D/L of MIT KRB5 1.3.4. Shucks, ncurses. well, you downloaded
that.

>  http://mailman.mit.edu/pipermail/kerberos/2004-May/005452.html
> <http://mailman.mit.edu/pipermail/kerberos/2004-May/005452.html>
> However, when I compile ncurses 5.3, I get an error about g++ not
> being installed.

Well, that is a biggy. you might have gcc installed (the C compiler) but
not have the C++ compiler g++ installed. It happens to all of us.

> This seems like an endless dependancy.  Any tips on making samba
> configure script happy?

Yes, how long have been an admin of a *NIX machine? I can say I have had
to deal with things like this for eons. If you do it often enough, you
get good at it. I used to update whole Linux machine with touch RPM or
any other package manager. Mainly they screwed up everything I needed
left as is (config wise). So, I used Slackware. Now I use Debian Sid.

Now, remember I said alot. But gave no real answer. You asked alot but
gave us no clues how to help you.

What *NIX are you using.  Is it a Linux or *BSD? If it is Linux which
distro is it?

When you can tell us the answers, we can help.

greg, greg at gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster: Linux