[Samba] Files get written with sections of log in them - destroying files.

Alexander Skwar listen at alexander.skwar.name
Wed Jul 21 19:08:02 GMT 2004

Herb Lewis wrote:
> Did you by any chance get a log rotate about the time of the corruption?

You mean the Samba logs, don't you (ie. not the logs from syslog and the
like)?

> We have seen these things in the past but they have never been reproducible

Yes. I also cannot really reproduce it - ie. I cannot do X and have the
file be destroyed. I wish I were able to :(

> so have been hard to track down.

Yep. Don't you just hate those Heisenbugs? Well, I do :(

> At one time I had a theory that something
> was going wrong at the time the logs reached the max size and were being
> "rotated" because all the cases had a max log size set. Can you check your
> logs and see if you have an old log that ends about the time of the
> log entries that were inserted into your file?

Well, at least that's a theory. Tomorrow when I'm back at work, I'll for
sure checkt that.

PS: Why did you reply off-list?

Alexander Skwar
--
printk(KERN_WARNING "Warning: defective CD-ROM (volume sequence
number). Enabling \"cruft\" mount option.\n");