[Samba] LPRng and Samba: Problems with print queue administration

Peter Daum gator at cs.tu-berlin.de
Wed Jul 21 17:55:55 GMT 2004

Hi,

could it be that recent versions of samba have some problems when
collaborating with LPRng? I have a bunch of windows clients printing
via Samba and LPRng and ran into the following problems:

- In my environment it is desirable that people can kill other
  people's print jobs. LPRng is configured accordingly and works
  correctly. The corresponding Samba shares have no restrictions on
  them, so everybody can print and the permissions for manipulating
  the print queue are (or better: were) exclusively based on the LPRng
  setup. Currently however, only the owner of a print job can cancel
  it, everybody else gets a "permission denied" reply.

- furthermore I noticed, that Samba does not always show all the
  entries in the print queue. I couldn't discover any pattern, some
  print jobs are not reported at all, others first show up in the
  queue and disappear from Samba's queue list while lpq still shows them.

The basic setup has not changed in quite a while and used to work
without problems, so the relevant change must have been some samba
upgrade. Right now I am running samba 2.2.9 (with 3.0.x it's the
same). Unfortunately these problems were just brought to my attention,
so I can't tell which was the last correctly working samba version.
LPRng has all the time been vesion 3.6.24 and works as it should.
Client OS doesn't matter, the problems can be reproduced directly on
the (Linux) server using smbclient.

Any ideas?

Regards,
                  Peter Daum