[Samba] Windows 2000/2003 shares -> danish character problem.

Martin Moeller martin at liga.dk
Wed Jul 21 14:06:01 GMT 2004

Hello all.

I have been given an assignment to mount a share automatically for each
user using a given Linux machine (Mandrake 10 in this case). This is
working fine, thanks to pam_mount, BUT:

The mounted share contains national characters like this: æ ø å.

The problem I'm having is that when I mount these on Linux the 'ø' looks
like 'o' but cannot be accessed like that. It says the file or directory
doesn't exist (and it has a point). I have seen this on both Windows
2000 and Windows 2003 Server. Interestingly enough there are no problems
with Windows XP, as long as I use codepage=cp850 to mount with.

I have tried these codepages: cp437, cp850, cp865, cp1250, cp1251, utf8
I even tried 'latin1' just to see what would happen.

I guess there is something that should be changed on the Windows machine
for this to work? If so does anyone know what that would be?

Part of the problem is that it is a literal 'o' that is shown in the
Linux filesystem but when this filename is requested of the Windows
server it of course denies any knowledge of such a thing.

When I write a file that has 'æøå' *inside* there are no problems
displaying that. I have tried googling for clues for quite a while now
and haven't found that much other than 'chcp 850' on the Windows
machine. This doesn't seem to alleviate the problem when the Windows box
is the server... Is it a matter of forcing cp850 at a much earlier state
(running just chcp gives '437')?

Any takers? :)

--
###