[Samba] unable to join domain hosted by 3.0 PDC

Jeff Layton jtlayton at poochiereds.net
Wed Jul 21 12:30:14 GMT 2004

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 01:54:52PM +0200, Nikola Vanevski wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I experienced the same problem a couple of days ago. It is a
> misconfiguration in global parameters, but I don't exactly know where. I
> copied the smb.conf [Globals] options from a working server and it fixed
> the problem. Because I was in a great hurry, I did not check where did I
> go wrong. Here are the parameters that worked on _my_ server :
> (smbpasswd backend)
>
> [global]
>    workgroup = MBPR2
>    server string = Samba Server
>    interfaces = 127.0.0.1, eth0
>    bind interfaces only = Yes
>    map to guest = Bad User
>    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
>    add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d
> /var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
>    logon path =
>    logon home =
>    domain logons = Yes
>    os level = 65
>    preferred master = Yes
>    domain master = Yes
>    ldap suffix = dc=example,dc=com
>    ldap ssl = no
>    printer admin = @ntadmin, root, administrator
>
> Hope this helps. If you find what's going on (like the difference
> between your settings and these), Id like to know.
>
> Greetings
>
> Nino

Thanks for the info. I eventually found another way to solve it. I had:

  invalid users = root

so I commented that out, and was then able to use the root account to
join the domain. I'd like to be able to figure out how to do it using a
non-root account, though. Apparently it should be possible to do so if
the account is a member of the Domain Admins, but that didn't seem to
work for me.

It would be nice to know what privileges are required to add machines to
the domain, so you could delegate out that privilege without having to
use the root account. Any samba experts care to comment?

-- Jeff