[Samba] Problem with umlaut on windows server

Weißmann Philipp Philipp.Weissmann at brose.net
Wed Jul 21 07:16:34 GMT 2004

Hallo Samba-users,

I've got a problem mounting a windows-share via mount / smbmount:
The mount itself works without any problem, but when I try to enter a directory with a Umlaut (such as "ö,ä,ü") the command fails. All the umlauts are replaced with a question mark when I "ls" in the directory which contains the directory with the umlaut.

Changing the character set results in equal problems:
The umlauts are shown as Block-Symbol (▒ - if you cant see it: it's ASCII sign Nr. 177, see http://www.asciitable.com/) but entering a directory works. Unfortunately any further actions fail, i.e. listing the content of the directory quits with an IO Error.

Browsing the share with the smb:// tool of the Konqueror returns correct umlauts, but entering a directory is also not possible.

What can I do to get the Windows-Shares displayed correctly ?

Renaming is unfortunately not an option.

Configuration:
Client: RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.0; Samba 3.0;
Server: Windows 2000 Server in a Domain;

Thanks in advance for your help,

Philipp Weißmann