[Samba] Re: locks cooperating with a server side process

Chris Green cmg at dok.org
Tue Jul 20 21:04:19 GMT 2004

Adam Tauno WIlliams <adam at morrison-ind.com> writes:

> If your building a 'drop box' so to speak, where a process picks up
> files after they are copied in, perhaps you want to look into hooking
> for application into 'fam'
>
> http://oss.sgi.com/projects/fam/

Thanks for the pointer.  My problem isn't picking up the file when
it's copied in, but picking it up when it's "complete". Looking at the
imon ( and linux fcntl(2) ), there doesn't seem to be a way to say
"let me know I'm the only person using this file" short of mandatory
locking.

The work around for the users in my case is to copy the file, and
then rename but I'd really like it to be a one step operation.

Cheers,
Chris
--
Chris Green <cmg at dok.org>