[Samba] Samba+LDAP - so close yet so far :) ...STILL NOT SOLVED

José Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa icamargo at merkurio.com.ve
Tue Jul 20 15:31:46 GMT 2004

Mohammad Reza wrote:

>Dear lists...
>
>But this still un-solved the real problem to join w2k to samba3-ldap .
>I'm here with the same situation.
>I even switch my distro to SuSe with same result, still cant join domain.
>Please give us hint how to solve or debug this problem.

Sorry, I looked at the thread, and I don't have info about your problem
with w2k.  According to what I read at the link posted by Abebe, I think
it may be a problem with the unix system not "seeing" the machine
account created automatically by samba (ie, the smbldap-useradd
script).  You should be able to do a "su - winxp\$" as root, and it
should log in:

obelix:~# su - virtualxp\$
No directory, logging in with HOME=/

Off course, it will not give you a prompt as virtualxp\$, because the
shell is /bin/false, but If the user didn't existed, it would answered:
Unkown ID, or something like that.