[Samba] i need recycle bin configuration

Christoph Scheeder christoph.scheeder at scheeder.de
Tue Jul 20 08:24:29 GMT 2004

Hi,
there are a few things to do to get this working with samba-2.x.x:
1.) build the vfs-modules, they are not compiled by the default makefile
     in samba 2.x.x. To do this go in the samba-2.x.x/examples/VFS
     directory and do a "./configure; make"
2.) copy the module recycle/recycle.so to a directory of your choice,
     i use (as an example) /etc/samba/VFS
3.) for each share you want the recycle-function to be enabled on,
     put the following lines in the share-section of your smb.conf:

         vfs object = /etc/samba/VFS/recycle.so
         vfs options= /etc/samba/VFS/recycle.conf

     don't forget to adjust the path to the place whre you put the files
     to.

4.) create the file recycle.conf.
     as an example, mine contains the lines:

name = .recycle/%U
mode = KEEP_DIRECTORIES|VERSIONS|TOUCH
maxsize = 0
exclude = *.tmp|*.temp|*.o|*.obj|~$*|*.~??|*.log|*.trace
excludedir = /tmp|/temp|/cache
noversions = *.doc|*.ppt|*.dat|*.ini

     the available options for the module are documented in the file
     samba-2.x.x/examples/VFS/README.

5.) create the .recycle directory in the root of each share with full
     acces for all users who have acess to the share.
     if you miss this step the dir will get created with wrong
permisions
     when the first user deletes a file, and all files deleted by other
     user will get lost.

for the samba 3.x-branch the procedure has changed completly.
The VFS modules have been integrated in the normal make/install process,
so you don't have to compile them for your on, and the complete
configuration now goes into smb.conf, no need to create a separate file
for it.

for example i use the folowing lines in my [homes] section:

         vfs object = recycle
                 recycle:repository = .Papierkorb/%U
                 recycle:keeptree = Yes
                 recycle:touch = Yes
                 recycle:versions = Yes
                 recycle:maxsize = 0
                 recycle:exclude = *.tmp|*.temp|*.o|*.obj|~$*|*.~??
                 recycle:excludedir = /tmp|/temp|/cache
                 recycle:noversions = *.doc|*.xls|*.ppt

and it works out of the box like a charm....

have much fun
Christoph