[Samba] logging in to PDC with Win98

DA Forsyth iwrTech at iwr.ru.ac.za
Tue Jul 20 09:27:16 GMT 2004

Hiya

I've got FreeBSD and Samba 2.2 running quite nicely on a server I ma
using for web page development.  This is on a 3 PC network at home
using fixed IP addresses 192.168.0.x etc.

However, last night I tried to make it into a PDC following the PDC
Howto document.  all seemed well till I tried to login to it >-:

The netbios name is 'micah'
the server name was 'micah.ru.ac.za' which is the full domain of the
network I installed it on here at work.

I set my Win98SE machine to ;login to domain; and told it the domain
name was 'micah'
I got an instant dialog saying ;incorrect parameter; and it will not
login
I then tried '\\micah' but it also will not work.

I then added '.ru.ac.za' to the domain name
I then got a delay followed by a long message saying in essense
'I could not find a domain to authorize against, so some of the
network won't work'
and then the login proceeds, I do not get a home directory, but a
preexisting drive mapping works fine, and no sign of the login script
running at all (I created a simple batch file that just annouces
itself, and I did make it executable)

I then messed around with the server name, making is just 'micah', or
'micha.home'.  no change in the above results.
I checked, and rechecked, the lmhosts and hosts files on my Win98
box, all ok there, and of course the server is browsable after the
failed login.

The server is not running DNS or anything else remotely fancy.  It
just exists as a web server for developing new PHP code, and I use
Samba to make it easy to edit the web files.

So what is it that I am missing?
(note I have NEVER logged into any kind of MS domain server, ever.
We have Novell at the office)

--
       DA Fo rsyth            Network Supervisor
Principal Technical Officer  -- Institute for Water Research