[Samba] unable to join domain hosted by 3.0 PDC

Jeff Layton jtlayton at poochiereds.net
Mon Jul 19 21:41:56 GMT 2004

I've been trying to set up a samba 3.0 PDC, and am unable to get my
machines to join the domain. I've followed the HOWTO pretty closely, but
when I try to get a win2k machine to join the domain, I get a message
saying that the authentication failed. The log on the samba server shows
the following errors (at loglevel 2):

[2004/07/18 21:05:04, 2]
rpc_server/srv_samr_nt.c:access_check_samr_object(93)
  _samr_open_domain: ACCESS DENIED  (requested: 0x00000211)
[2004/07/18 21:05:04, 2]
rpc_server/srv_samr_nt.c:access_check_samr_function(115)
  _samr_create_user: ACCESS DENIED (granted: 0x00000201;  required:
0x00000010)

My question is -- how do I determine _why_ access is denied. I've tried
turning up the loglevel, but it doesn't seem to be very enlightening.

In particular, the second entry seems to indicate that I need some sort
of permission bit set that is not. How do I interpret what these hex
numbers represent?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
--
Jeff Layton <jtlayton at poochiereds.net>