[Samba] Samba+LDAP - so close yet so far :) ...STILL NOT SOLVED

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Mon Jul 19 21:10:28 GMT 2004

>I have one big question, which one do I
>put in '/etc/ldap.conf'
>
>nss_base_passwd dc=wbcoll,dc=edu?one
>nss_base_shadow dc=wbcoll,dc=edu?one
>nss_base_group  ou=Groups,dc=wbcoll,dc=edu?one
>
>or
>
>nss_base_passwd        ou=Users,dc=wbcoll,dc=edu?one
>nss_base_shadow        ou=Users,dc=wbcoll,dc=edu?one
>nss_base_group         ou=Groups,dc=wbcoll,dc=edu?one

The second.  The first one won't let the system do authentication and
user lookups.  If you were to put
dc=blah?sub

things would work but you'd really shoot your performance in the foot
since you'd be searching the entire ldap tree for user data.  Every time
you do a file lookup or something similar you'd have to query the entire
tree and any subobjects, taking nscd out of the equation of course.

>I am not really using "ldap ssl = start tls" yet. I
>will get to that part after I get the rest of the
>stuff working.

A very good plan.  Too many people try to layer on protocols and
confusion before they get the underlying systems working.

--
Paul Gienger                     Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.