[Samba] SSLeay

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Mon Jul 19 19:03:28 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 12:52, Loftus Andy - ALoftu wrote:
> Could someone tell me where i can download the latest version of SSLeay. I
> have tried the following sites:
>
> *	<ftp://ftp.psy.uq.oz.au/pub/Crypto/SSL/>
> *	<ftp://ftp.uni-mainz.de/pub/internet/security/ssl>
> *	<ftp://ftp.cert.dfn.de/pub/tools/crypt/sslapps>
> *	<ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/crypt/mirrors/ftp.psy.uq.oz.au>
> *	<ftp://ftp.sunet.se/ftp/pub/security/tools/crypt/ssleay>
>
> None of these will let me access the software.

From the FAQ Page for the descendant of openSSL:
(http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html)

2. Where is the documentation?
OpenSSL is a library that provides cryptographic functionality to
applications such as secure web servers. Be sure to read the
documentation of the application you want to use. The INSTALL file
explains how to install this library.

OpenSSL includes a command line utility that can be used to perform a
variety of cryptographic functions. It is described in the openssl(1)
manpage. Documentation for developers is currently being written. A few
manual pages already are available; overviews over libcrypto and libssl
are given in the crypto(3) and ssl(3) manpages.

The OpenSSL manpages are installed in /usr/local/ssl/man/ (or a
different directory if you specified one as described in INSTALL). In
addition, you can read the most current versions at
http://www.openssl.org/docs/.

For information on parts of libcrypto that are not yet documented, you
might want to read Ariel Glenn's documentation on SSLeay 0.9, OpenSSL's
predecessor, at http://www.columbia.edu/~ariel/ssleay/. Much of this
still applies to OpenSSL.

There is some documentation about certificate extensions and PKCS#12 in
doc/openssl.txt

The original SSLeay documentation is included in OpenSSL as
doc/ssleay.txt. It may be useful when none of the other resources help,
but please note that it reflects the obsolete version SSLeay 0.6.6.

Should explain it well enough.
greg, greg at gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster: Linux