[Samba] What happened to this list?

L. Mark Stone LMStone at RNoME.com
Mon Jul 19 12:34:57 GMT 2004

On Monday 19 July 2004 07:41 am, Chris wrote:
| Hello.
|
| I have been having some major troubles lately with samba and winbind.
|  The last 5 posts I made, no one has responded.  I did some looking
| around, and in the last several months it seems that very few people
| are getting any assistance at all on this list at all.
|
| Why is that?  I haven't needed this list in years, but it used to be
| very different.
|
| Is there another place a person can go to get help with samba?  I
| have faithfully followed the docs and it is still not working right,
| and it is most frustrating.
|
| Chris

Chris,

I don't remember your earlier posts, but we use winbind a lot, so you
can send me a private email if you like and I'll try to answer you as
best I can.

My experience with this list is that, the more general a question I
asked, the less likely I was to get a response.  I get the best
points like Linux/Samba versions, smb.conf file entries, log file
snippets, the steps I have taken to try to eradicate the problem, and
exactly how to reproduce the problem.

There are many members of the Samba team who post frequently on this
list, and not just in response to legitimate bugs.  They have helped me
frequently.  John Terpstra even telephoned me one day in response to a
post I made here.

I guess all I can suggest is to present your data differently than you
have and try posting again.

Best regards,
Mark

P.S. I also notice that posters who use their full names seem to get
responded to more frequently.

- --
A Message From...  L. Mark Stone

Reliable Networks of Maine, LLC