[Samba] Not Able to access share when SE_BACKUP_NAME enabled

Matthew matthew at sapporotimes.com
Mon Jul 19 06:17:41 GMT 2004

Hi,
This is a little random but I've found that when connecting from a Win2k3 server to a Samba share, If I have the Backup Privelege enabled for my process, It cannot connect.  I am prompted for a Username and Password, and then GetVolumeInfo fails. If I disable SE_BACKUP_NAME privilege it connects fine. It looks like this is only a problem with certain versions of Samba. It works fine in 3.0.099 fails with 2.2.2 fails with 2.2.5 fails with 3.0.2 but it works with the current build.

 Does anyone know more about this failure? Optimally I want to find a work-around with Samba 2.2.5 since it's installed on an embedded OS which I can't update.

Any help is much appreciated!

-Matt