[Samba] Attempting to join domain disables root account (SAMBA LDAP PDC 3.0.4)

Duncan Brannen dbb at st-andrews.ac.uk
Sun Jul 18 17:02:25 GMT 2004

Hi,
	We've got a working samba 2.2.8 / LDAP / PDC setup going here
with multiple samba servers all looking at the same ldap backend but oblivious
of each other.

I've tried to upgrade one of these servers to samba 3.0.4 setting the
passdb backend as ldapsam_compat.

If I try to join a windows 2K machine to the 3.0.4 domain it fails, I use
the same 'root' user and password
but get the error message

Login failure: unknown user name or bad password.

meanwhile, the samba server has connected to my ldap server as the
samba-ldap-administrator, disabled the root
account ands reset the lm and ntpasswd fields, effectively stopping and
machine joining via the 2.2.8 servers either.

Resetting the root password and acctFlags fixes the 2.2.8 servers but
doesn't help me with the 3.0.4.

Have a missed something obvious & can 2.2.8 and 3.0.4 servers co exist with
the same ldap backend

(The samba servers cannot see each other)

Cheers,
	Duncan

PS using the newest smbldap tools, though the logs don't seem to show me
getting as far as trying that.