[Samba] Samba 3.0.4-Suse-Package with Suse 9.0

Stefan G. Weichinger monitor at oops.co.at
Sun Jul 18 08:41:59 GMT 2004

Hello,

at a client's site I have to use Suse Linux 9.0 Pro for specific
kernel-modules Suse Linux 9.1 does not provide anymore.

To get the server up-to-date I took the Samba-rpms from sernet.de and
ran a successful "rpm -Uvh".

For an application it is necessary to print via the smb-backend of
CUPS, I have to get a queue pointing at a printer located at a Win-PC.

That printer is shared with permissions to print for everyone, but I
can't get CUPS to print a test-page. It is sent to the smb-backend
which gets NT_STATUS-LOGON_FAILED and such stuff.

So I tried to connect via smbclient, just to verify the connection, I
am only able to get a list of available shares with the user
administrator, not for the specific user I want to print with.

The user is in the Samba passdb backend.
I also did a new symbolic link smbspool --> cups-smb-backend.

The funny part is that on a backup-machine (second 9.0-box) the same
/etc/cups and /etc/samba -configs print to that win-printer fine.

The main difference seems to be that there I compiled Samba myself,
which seems the way to go for me on the main box, too. Maybe it has to
do with the cups-libraries the rpms were compiled against?

Ideas anyone? Thanks, I would like to get those printers printing ther
tomorrow ...

best regards,
Stefan G. Weichinger