[Samba] Sync'ing user and group ID's

thestar at fussycoder.id.au thestar at fussycoder.id.au
Sat Jul 17 05:38:16 GMT 2004

Heya, I'm new to this particular area of linux admin, and I noticed the
behaviour of
the new samba CIFS's linux driver.

The only problem was that the user and group ID's of the files in the
mounted directories
were rather strange, as these ID's were not in sync between the server
and the client.

My question is how do I keep them in sync, how I would deal with, say,
a laptop roaming
between two different networks.

I am also concerned about the security implications - to me, it appears
that every single
computer must be trusted, and thus, no-body but those in the admin
staff should be able to
have root access -- this sounds like the security will go down as the
number of computers
increases.  Any suggestions about this?

Thanks.