[Samba] User Level Security and PDC

James Kreuziger jkreuzig at uci.edu
Fri Jul 16 23:14:09 GMT 2004

So, I have this Samba PDC setup, and it's gotten to
the point where a good number of my Win2K and WinXP
boxes refuse to acknowledge that the PDC exists.
If I logon to the Win boxes on a local account, and
go to the run dialog and type \\mymachine, it prompts
me for a username and password.  I can then see my shares.
If I logoff the local account and try and logon to
the domain, I get "Domain MYDOMAIN is unavailable".

So why would I have user level access available through
a local account and not access to my domain through
my PDC?

Below is the relevant portions of the [global] section
of my smb.conf

-Jim

Jim Kreuziger
jkreuzig at uci.edu
[global]
        workgroup = MYDOMAIN
        preexec = csh -c `echo /usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient \
                                -M %m -I %I` &
        server string = Samba %v on (%L)
        security = user
        domain logons = yes
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        password level = 3
        log level = 3
        log file = /samba/current/var/log.smbd.%m
        max log size = 2000
        wins support = Yes
        name resolve order = lmhosts wins hosts bcast
        dns proxy = yes
        deadtime = 0
        keepalive = 3600
        client code page = 437
        domain master = yes
        preferred master = yes
        local master = yes
        os level = 255
        guest account = samba
        invalid users = daemon bin sys lp smtp uucp nuucp listen dcs consult dumper nobody
        veto oplock files = /*.mdb/*.dbm/*.doc/*.xls
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
        getwd cache = yes
        logon script = %U.bat
        logon path = \\mymachine\profile\%U
        utmp = True
        username map = /samba/current/lib/usermap.txt