[Samba] Samba+LDAP - so close yet so far :) ...STILL NOT SOLVED

abebe lsslp peaceofcrap2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 16 20:39:11 GMT 2004

Hey Craig,
Here is what's happening. I've got nothing, but
headache from looking at log level 10, but finally I
finished going over it. For those of you who have not
been following, check
http://150.208.105.24/smbldap-pdc.html

> ----
> > smbd/process.c:timeout_processing(1332)
> >   timeout_processing: End of file from client
> (client
> > has disconnected).
>
> You are attempting to join WinXP to domain, are
> asked for the
> name/password/domain of a user who has sufficient
> privileges to add a
> machine to the domain and it fails to finish? The
> machine is indeed
> added to LDAP - that's all I can figure out from
> your email.
>
> First off - my understanding is that Machine
> accounts should still be
> located in the People subtree and not in the
> Computers subtree because
> subsequent searches will not locate it there. If
> this has been fixed,
> I'm sure someone will correct me.

I have tried it your way as well.

# 1
Changeed the Entry in '/etc/ldap.conf' to

nss_base_passwd ou=People,dc=wbcoll,dc=edu?one
nss_base_shadow ou=People,dc=wbcoll,dc=edu?one
nss_base_group  ou=Groups,dc=wbcoll,dc=edu?one

changed the entry in '/etc/samba/smb.conf' file, I
changed

ldap machine suffix = ou=People

and finally, the entry in
'/etc/smbldap-tools/smbldap.conf'

# Ex: computersdn="ou=Computers,dc=IDEALX,dc=ORG"
computersdn="ou=People,dc=wbcoll,dc=edu"

However, I am sure the "ou =Computers" entry works. A
lot of documentations, including idealx.org would have
corrected their documentations if it wasn't so.

> Secondly - ldap log?

I couldn't find any hint that leads me to believe the
ldap doesn't work, but you might see something I
don't.  you will find the whole 'slapd.log' file here:
http://150.208.105.24/smbldap-pdc/. (there are also
log files for the xp machine. ('winxp.log.html' is log
level 10 and 'winxp_log.html' is log level 3). Log
level 10 doesn't really tell me anything log level 3
doesn't.

Ambex