[Samba] Ascii mode in smbclient?

William Beilstein wbeilstein at raymourflanigan.com
Fri Jul 16 19:36:23 GMT 2004

I know that the smbclient only supports binary transfers. Is there any way
to use samba that will perform the equivalent of the ASCII mode in FTP. In
other words, change CR/LF to LF in Dos -> Unix transfers and to change LF to
CR?LF in Unix to Dos transfers?

My site is only using samba to transfer between Windows and Unix machines.
And while I know that I could use “unix2dos” and “dos2unix” for the
transfer, it would be nice if the transfer took care of it.

This would seem to be a natural. Modify smbclient to understand the “BINARY”
and “ASCII” commands and transfer accordingly.