[Samba] Make Samba 3.0.4 PDC server as Windows update server

cep welly deb_milist at yahoo.com.sg
Fri Jul 16 08:19:04 GMT 2004

hi, guys... I'm a noobie around here and.... first come first ask  ;-)
well, I have successfully made my linux box ( debian sid kernel 2.426 )
as a PDC
( I can connect my winxp box to this pdc --> that's what i mean success
)....
I'm using Samba 3.0.4. I wonder if I can make my pdc to be a windows
update server.
As we know, updating windows always goes through the internet, which in my
consideration is not good internet bandwidth management ( assume if there's
a hundred or even thousand windows clients in a network ... )
So, if one machine can provide that need, it would be a great improvement.
I've heard about SUS which can provide this, but since it need a windows
server
I guess I should ignore that ( I'd experienced a bad time when one of
our server
being compromised several months ago --- that's why I turn to Linux
platform )
Maybe providing a script to execute the update files is not enough,
since users
have to involved to the installation, answering some questions, etc which
might be boring them ( in case there'll not just only one update ). And
there will
be a chance where users will give a wrong answer.
Updating windows without asking anything, after user log in just : go
copying files,
changin' registry, etc ( restart after the whole process defenetely
can't be avoided,
isn't it ?  :D )
Or I just to much to hope .....

cheers,