[Samba] WinXP registry problems on SMB PDC

Lewis Shobbrook lshobbrook at fasttrack.net.au
Fri Jul 16 04:54:39 GMT 2004

Hi David,

>      I recently moved off of an ancient NT4 PDC to a SMB PDC
> running Samba 3.0.4-1 on a RH9 box.  I had absolutely no
> troubles joining the domain, and other than a few login
> quirks every now and again, it is stable.
>
>      I am, however, experiencing what I believe to be a
> permissions issue with the user profiles... my own, included.
>  I am unable to make registry changes, most notably with
> regards to Norton Antivirus.  All users are currently in a
> group mapped to Domain Admins, as most of the profiles had
> difficulties loading without it...  After a long weekend of
> profile copying, I figured that I'd cross that bridge later.
> Regedit gives me a message, "Error opening key" while
> navagating to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec.
>
>       I'm almost certain it's a permissions problem, but I
> have been unable to locate the source of the problem.  Any
> help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

I have had a client who recently installed Symantec NAV 2004 on machines
running XP sp1a, the samba PDC is 3.0.4-2 on Debian unstable.  (Not that
I think samba is the issue here)
The 2004 live-updates eventually killed the machines to point to where
they needed to be reinstalled (less work to do it that way anyway).  NAV
would repeatedly complain of corrupt registry and ask for the product to
be re-installed.  In the building I work in, Symantec have an their
local state office on the top floor.  I overheard a conversation in the
lift, in the week following the initial release of 2004, words
describing in effect what eventually happened at my clients site.
No doubt my clients no longer have NAV 2004.  And BTW I had advised them
against installing NAV 2004, but somehow they missed it.
2003 was no issue...
I suspect this may where your problems are coming from.

Cheers,

Lewis Shobbrook