[Samba] Add Linux User Account to Active Directory Domain

Alexander Buttery abuttery at impactrx.com
Thu Jul 15 16:02:14 GMT 2004

I have a problem I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I have a user account for batch processing on a Linux AS 2.1 server
(irxbatch) that needs to be added to a corporate Active Directory
security group (we'll call it 'app_users'.

I'm running Red Hat Linux AS 2.1 on an Intel based HP 1550 server.
The server is running Samba 3.0.2a which was obtained from the
www.samba.org site and installed from an rpm.

I then configured the server to authenticate the samba shares (we're not
using Samba print services on this server) against the Active Directory
Domain server.

This has been working for several months now and works great.

I wrote a perl script that cleans up the data in one of the shares but
it is failing to delete the files or directories because they are now
owned by users in the Active Directory domain and also are assigned to
the security group ('app_users').  The job is running from the irxbatch
(user id) crontab and our sys admins will not allow it to run under root
(and I don't blame them).

So, the question is:  How do I add the local user account (irxbatch) to
the Active Directory Domain and to the application security group
(app_users)?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Alex Buttery
ImpactRx, Inc.
abuttery at impactrx.com

This email may contain CONFIDENTIAL or PRIVILEGED information and is a private communication between the intended addressee and ImpactRx, Inc. If you have received this email in error, reading, copying, using, or disclosing its contents to others is prohibited. Please notify us of the delivery error by replying to this message, and then delete it from your system. Thank you.