[Samba] Compareing backends

Jim C. jcllings at javahop.com
Thu Jul 15 14:17:21 GMT 2004

> Why won't this claim die?! LDAP handles writes just fine,  LDAP is not
> an RDBMS, it is different.  Our DSA processes thousands of writes per
> day without incident.

I was asking a question based on what I had read (albeit quite some time
ago), not making any claims.  Frankly, I wouldn't know how to test it
myself.

> You are probably facing (a) poor configuration or (b) broken/buggy
> packages.  The OpenLDAP packages of most distros are just terrible.

Really?  That is news.  What is usually wrong with them and how do they
get that way, I wonder?  I'll keep my eyes open.  Packages from Mdk
always seemed to work fine but I've never really placed any load on them
either.

> Lookups in OpenLDAP are consistently faster than an RDBMS, at least in

Uh... You guys could have just said, "It's faster and better suited for
X, Y and Z and no, there is no problem with write performance."  I would
have accepted that.  Honest.

| I can be reached on the following Instant Messenger services: |
| MSN: j_c_llings at hotmail.com  AIM: WyteLi0n  ICQ: 123291844 	|
| Y!: j_c_llings               Jabber: jcllings at njs.netlab.cz	|