[Samba] CIFS does not work, SMBFS does?

Max Kipness max at kipness.com
Thu Jul 15 03:33:37 GMT 2004

Hello -

I just installed Fedora Core 2 the other day and have been trying to
mount a share to some XP shares (domain members) without any luck.

If I use the following line it works fine:

mount -t smbfs -o username="mkipness",password=xxxx,domain=domain
//10.0.100.74/c$ /mnt/max-laptop

But if I use the the same statement substituting cifs, it doesn't:

mount -t cifs -o username="mkipness",password=xxxx,domain=domain
//10.0.100.74/c$ /mnt/max-laptop

And I get the error:

mount error 13 = Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

I've tried it on two different XP machines that are members of the same
domain and get the same issue.

The strange thing is that I did happen to get it working on an XP
workstation that was only a member of a workgroup.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Or can you point me in the right
direction to get this working?

Thanks,
Max