[Samba] Compareing backends

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Wed Jul 14 16:13:28 GMT 2004

Jim C. wrote:

> How does the speed of SQL compare to the speed of LDAP?  If the speeds
> are comparable, why bother with LDAP, which doesn't handle writes very
> well?

I can't comment on the speed, but as for the reasons for LDAP, some of
us need fully networkable and redundant directory information
structure.  Also, aside from simply handling posix and sambaSam info,
ours also does automount information, as well as a custom built
directory security enfocement suite.  Our mail server runs aliases off
of it, and our intranet authenticates against it using posix groups for
permissioning.

Does sql do all that? oh yeah, and be distributed.

Now here's one for you to try... if you want SQL someplace, how about
configuring your ldap (assuming openldap) daemon to use back_sql?  I've
seen the complaints about berkely-db being shoddy, that should take it
out of the equation.

--
Paul Gienger                     Office:		701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.         Cell:			701-306-6254