[Samba] Compareing backends

Joshua Ginsberg joshg at brainstorminternet.net
Wed Jul 14 16:07:07 GMT 2004

Hi Jim --

My OpenLDAP directory when well tuned and absolutely hammered outruns a
well tuned MySQL server. YMMV, as always. Different applications and
different configurations run differently using different software. But
duh.

Why bother with LDAP? I authenticate 15,000 users off of an existing
LDAP direcory for a number of different services, including UNIX logins,
mail processing, and Windows logins. The UNIX logins and mail processing
were in place and using LDAP well before I integrated Samba into my LDAP
directory. Why would I not use the LDAP backend when everything else in
my network does? Or to turn your question around on you, why would I
bother with SQL?

-jag