[Samba] Re: My Ldap database keeps on corrupting..please help

mike at jurney.org mike at jurney.org
Wed Jul 14 16:01:25 GMT 2004

Eugene T. Sibala wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply....
>
> It started corrupting when everyone was already using it (btw, im
> working in a school so students are the ones using it constantly) ...
>
> I first notice this problem when one instructor reported that they can't
> log to the PDC... I checked my ldap database and executed the "slapcat
> command" and it hang-up.  To recover  my database, I am using the
> db_recover of Berkeley, which I don't really know the consequences of
> this. :( ... and this corruption keeps on happening with now definite
> time at all..

I ran into this recently as well - It's a problem with OpenLDAP improperly
assuming that it gets a valid lock on the DB, when under load it sometimes
doesn't.  The solution is to either run nscd (so that the ldap directory
gets hit less) or to tune the berkely db environment so that it has more
lock objects available.  Sleepycat has explainations and tutorials on
tuning the locking subsystem here:

http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/ref/toc.html

Specifically:

http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/ref/toc.html