[Samba] new user trying to learn

Corey corey.sheakoski1 at us.army.mil
Wed Jul 14 14:48:38 GMT 2004

I'm currently trying to setup 3.0.2 on a unix box. I want to set it up so that
only certain users on win2k machines are allowed to gain access to the mapped
files. I've been trying to use smbpasswd along with "valid users=" and have
been unable to get it to work. The user I"m trying to allow has been placed in
the /etc/passwd file.
Does this user need to be on the "select user" list when you go to map the
network drive?
I can get access to the files, but as soon as I set it up for "valid users" I
can not get that person logged in. It just keeps saying that the
username/password are not found.
Thanks in advance for any help.