[Samba] About Linux and AD

Irvin Probst irvin at irvinig.org
Wed Jul 14 14:47:02 GMT 2004

Hi,
For some days I tried to make a linux box act as a "normal" Active
Directory client without the need of the SFU on the 2k3 server. After
some -ugly- scripting and patching I managed to get almost everything
working (authenticate users, mount their home directories, map the SID
to UID/GID).
However now I'm stuck with SMB/CIFS lacking an equivalent to symbolic
links, and as a lot of applications (e.g: KDE) need this feature the
home directories are unusable. I'm currently out of ideas to solve this
problem, is there any way to bypass this limitation ?
Please note that this project is a "dumb project" and a pure waste of
time and I can't change anything on the server side (2k3 and AD thus no
unix extentions for CIFS), I'm just curious to see if it's feasible.
Thanks for any advice.

--
Irvin Probst
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary