[Samba] Enabling account lockouts

Dunn, Drew A. Drew.Dunn at jhuapl.edu
Wed Jul 14 12:41:19 GMT 2004

I'm running Samba 3.0.4 (using a tdb backend) as the PDC for several windows
2000 clients.  I would like to enable an account lockout policy.  I set the
number of bad password attempts using pdbedit by issuing,

# pdbedit -P "bad lockout attempt" -C 3

and recieved confirmation that this was correct.  I then tried to enable
locking by issuing

# pdbedit -u username -c "[L]"

However pdbedit -Lv does not show any change to the account flags.  I have
been able to set other flags like "Password does not expire", "account
disabled", etc.  When setting these I receive confirmation that the flag has
been set but go not receive any confirmation when trying to set the lockout.

Any suggestions?  Is there something else I need to turn on for this to
work?

Drew