[Samba] Samba performance/stability issue...

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Jul 14 01:49:51 GMT 2004

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 09:43:02PM -0400, Marcello Melfi wrote:

> I am performing some benchmarks that will reflect the way I am going to use
> Samba. Basically, I am copying/creating, via a simple C++ program running on
> the client box, the same 50 K-Bytes file about 10,000 times on the Samba
> share. Of course, the file is renamed with a sequence number so that at the
> end there are 10,000 newly created files on the share. As you might have
> guessed by now, I am not using Samba to simply replace a file server for
> windows users. I am using Samba so that a windows application (running in
> the background) can export files to another unix applications. NFS could
> have been an alternative, but Samba will integrate this export mechanism in
> a more transparent fashion.

Are you creating all these files in the same directory ? If so, that's
your answer for why things are slow. Samba has to provide a case-insensitive
lookup for a case-sensitive filesystem. Every time you try and create a file
that doesn't exist Samba has to do a directory scan to see if the file exists
in a different case. This is slow. Fix your app to create into different
directories and you'll find it gets much faster.

Jeremy.