[Samba] Solution! CUPS Printing / Win2K with Access Denied

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Wed Jul 14 01:30:48 GMT 2004

Hey Samba team... I'll still buy you pizza!

Anyway, trying to be good security folks, we had tossed in a global setting in smb.conf that root was an invalid user. No Windows client will ever have an account named that which they need to touch
Samba with, and everyone knows it is bad bad bad to logon to your Linux box with root... but anyway, Samba sure seems to have an opinion about doing this... JUST DON'T DO IT! (I defer to the pizza fed
Samba team to explain why, I DON'T KNOW!)

Between the three books I have, and that setting, it now works!

I successfully right clicked the printer without getting an error, finally! I uploaded the driver! I used printui.dll to command line attach the workstation to the printer!

OK, now ONE question. What methods exist to associate multiple drivers with a single printer for a single OS and thus create multiple printer icons on the client side. Such as a PCL6, PCL5e and PS
driver option for the same printer?

I am guessing that other methods I was trying to touch the printer will now work as well, so I will be trying them.

As long as there are command line solutions to the suggestion(s) I am more than happy to consider them. Everything must be scriptable... we administrators / engineers have better things to do for job
security than set up printers for users, right?!

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems