[Samba] XP to Samba PDC, permissions. Please give me a hand.

guus linux at ehbweb.nl
Tue Jul 13 21:46:59 GMT 2004

Hello list readers,

After setting up a Samba PDC on Suse Linux prof. 9.1. I succeeded in making
my Windows XP prof. workstation a member of the Samba domain.
When I, after succesfully logging in to the domain from XP, create or copy a
file in my own user directory (guus) permissions on te linux machine are set
right, like here:

-rwxrwxr--+ 1 guus users 4 2004-07-13 23:16 /home/guus/test

However, when I create or copy a file in the share pub the rights look like
this:

-rwx------  1 guus users 4 2004-07-13 23:19 /home/pub/test

Although the create mask for the share pub is set to 0775 so the rights
should look like -rwxrwxr-x+.

The directories where these files are in have rights -rwxrwxr-x+ for user
guus en group users.

I tried almost everything including reading the official Samba 3 howto
reader and tried various configurations in smb.conf. Both by editing by hand
and by using the swat tool and restart Samba each time, renew login etc.

Unfortunately I couldn't solve this problem. Can anyone give me a hand
please?

Here is a listing of my smb.conf:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from localhost (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2004/07/13 22:20:22

# Global parameters
[global]
 workgroup = THNET
 server string = Samba
 interfaces = eth0, 10.0.0.130/24, lo
 bind interfaces only = Yes
 map to guest = Bad User
 passdb backend = smbpasswd:/etc/samba/smbpasswd
 guest account = guest
 passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
 passwd chat = *password* %n\n *password* %n\n *changed*
 passwd chat debug = Yes
 username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
 unix password sync = Yes
 log level = 1
 log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
 debug uid = Yes
 name resolve order = dns wins bcast host lmhosts
 socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
 hostname lookups = Yes
 printcap name = /etc/printcap
 add user script = ldapsmb -a -u
 delete user script = ldapsmb -d -u
 add group script = ldapsmb -a -g
 delete group script = ldapsmb -d -g
 add user to group script = ldapsmb -j -u
 delete user from group script = ldapsmb -j -u
 set primary group script = ldapsmb -m -u
 add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody -s
/bin/false %m$
 shutdown script = ldapsmb --shutdown=
 abort shutdown script = ldapsmb --abortshutdown
 logon script = start.bat
 logon path = \\%L\profiles\%u
 logon drive = P:
 domain logons = Yes
 os level = 65
 domain master = Yes
 wins support = Yes
 ldap suffix = dc=domain, dc=com
 ldap ssl = no
 add share command = /var/lib/samba/scripts/modify_samba_config.pl
 delete share command = /var/lib/samba/scripts/modify_samba_config.pl
 socket address = 10.0.0.130
 write list = guus
 printer admin = @ntadmin, root, administrator
 create mask = 0777
 force create mode = 0775
 force security mode = 0770
 directory mask = 0777
 force directory mode = 0775
 force directory security mode = 0770
 hosts allow = 10.0.0.0/24, 127.0.0.1/24
 hosts deny = ALL
 printing = lprng
 print command = lpr -r -P'%p' %s
 lpq command = lpq -P'%p'
 lprm command = lprm -P'%p' %j
 lppause command = lpc hold '%p' %j
 lpresume command = lpc release '%p' %j
 queuepause command = lpc stop '%p'
 queueresume command = lpc start '%p'

[profiles]
 path = /var/lib/samba/profiles
 read only = No
 create mask = 0600
 directory mask = 0700

[netlogon]
 comment = Network Logon Service
 path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
 browseable = No

[homes]
 comment = Home Directories
 read only = No
 create mask = 0755
 directory mask = 0755
 browseable = No

[users]
 comment = All users
 path = /home
 read only = No
 create mask = 0744
 directory mask = 0744
 inherit permissions = Yes
 guest ok = Yes
 veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/

[pdf]
 comment = PDF creator
 path = /var/tmp
 create mask = 0600