[Samba] [[ Samba-3.0.4 (compiled) does not load printers ]]

Felipe van de Wiel felipe at paranacidade.org.br
Tue Jul 13 18:50:33 GMT 2004

Hi all,

    So the scenario:

    Pentium 133MHz (x86), 32MB RAM, HD 4.7GB
    Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r0, XFS released by Blade
    All upgrades (apt-get dist-upgrade) applied.

    Samba PDC (LDAP), running as domain master,
prefered master, domain logons. Using Samba3-beta2,
it is a production server 24/7, and we are migrating
the LDAP databases to use idmap backend. :)

    I'm trying to use the old p133 as a print server.
When I install samba (binary package provided by
Debian repositories) I can use:

        load printers = yes
        printcap name = cups
        printing = cups

    The packages:
        samba (2.2.3a-13)
        samba-common (2.2.3a-13)

    The problem:
        The authentication system! I don't know if
I'm missing something, but I can't put the packaged
samba (from Debian) to work with my PDC.

        So I decided to compile. I get the last source
from samba.org, and compiled it with the follow configure
line:

    $ ./configure --prefix=/usr --with-syslog --enable-cups

    I use the most simples setup, but I tried with ldap,
tdbsam, syslog, acl and quota support. The problem is with
cups.

    The libraries installed on my debian box:

ii  cupsys         1.1.14-5       Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - server
ii  cupsys-bsd     1.1.14-5       Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - BSD
comman
ii  cupsys-client  1.1.14-5       Common UNIX Printing System(tm) -
client pro
ii  cupsys-pstoras 1.1.14-5       Common UNIX Printing System(tm) -
pstoraster
ii  libcupsys2     1.1.14-5       Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - libs
ii  libcupsys2-dev 1.1.14-5       Common UNIX Printing System(tm) -
developmen

    If I use the __same__ smb.conf from packaged samba, start
the version 3.0.4 and running smbclient -L localhost, the
printers doesn't appear.

    Here is the point. I don't know if it is an issue related
with the libcups, or the samba compilation, I don't know. I'm
looking for ideas, documents, references, people that face
similar problems.

    Best regards,

// Felipe