[Samba] 3.0.5pre1 -> 3.0.5rc1 breaks winbindd group lookup with spaces

Matthew Moffitt moffitt.10 at sociology.osu.edu
Tue Jul 13 15:26:45 GMT 2004

When upgrading our test system from 3.0.5pre1 to 3.0.5rc1 with identical
configurations we found that one share using a group name with an
embedded space was no longer accessible after the upgrade.

Here's an example of the logged error message:

[2004/07/13 10:50:07, 1] nsswitch/winbindd_group.c:winbindd_getgrnam(298)
   group 'Domain in domain TESTDOM does not exist

That's coming from a service specified thusly in smb.conf:

[sdisk$]
path = /disk1/sdisk
writable = yes
admin users = @'Domain Users'

It appears that the group name is being broken apart at the embedded
space in 3.0.5rc1 but when we revert to 3.0.5pre1 things work nicely again.

-Matt