[Samba] (no subject)

Alex de Vaal alexdevaal at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 13 14:49:37 GMT 2004

Hello,

I had the same problem as you and it took me a while to figure it out
exactly.
I’ve now a RHL9 server running with Samba 3.0.4 as a domain member of a W2k3
realm.
Actually I updated Kerberos to version 1.3.1-7 on my RHL9 server to achieve
this; otherwise samba can’t verify the incoming ticket.

You are right; if you install the Kerberos 1.3.1 rpm’s with --force
--nodeps, it will break the dependencies, but this is the only way to do it.
After the update of the krb5 packages the “libcom_err.so.3” dependency of
other packages (example: httpd-2.0.40-21) is broken.

A TEMPORARY workaround is to change to the /lib directory and make the
following symbolic link: “ln -fs libcom_err.so.2.0 libcom_err.so.3” (This
restores the libcom_err.so.3 dependency of other packages after the krb5
update.) Now you can see if Samba 3.0.4 is working properly in a W2k3 realm.

What you should do afterwards is to recompile all the packages (on the
machine with the Kerberos 1.3.1 rpm’s installed) that had a dependency with
the old Kerberos packages and install those new recompiled packages. Now all
the packages (that had a dependency with the old Kerberos packages) have a
new dependency to Kerberos 1.3.1. After that you can remove the symbolic
link with “libcom_err.so.3”.

This cost me several headaches too… ;-)

Regards,
Alex.