[Samba] Port 445 & Port 139 banned

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Tue Jul 13 12:43:11 GMT 2004

Wang.Hua wrote:

>	Because of security reasons, my school has blocked tcp port 445 and 139.
>This make it impossible to for my window xp desktop to the remote samba service on Linux.
>Although the samba sercie on Linux and change its port by a "-p" option. But windows always
>look for 445 and 139 port.
>	I've tried a lot of ways to work it out including local port redirection but none of them works.
>	Is there a way for window xp to use a different port for smb service lookup.
>	Any help is apprieciated.

I'm assuming you're talking about within a college level campus here.
You could always try to plug in a consumer router box to the school
network and then put your machines behind it, it'd just be easier, and
less of a hack to your systems. That would probably keep you away from
both the rampant hax0r wannabes on most college campuses (at least
around here) and an overly ambitious IT department that likes to think
they own every student machine like they're on a corporate network.

--
Paul Gienger                     Office:		701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.         Cell:			701-306-6254