[Samba] vampire doesn't appear to be working at the moment?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Jul 13 09:22:02 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 00:01, Eric J Bennett wrote:
> Thankyou Craig, this appears to have worked to a degree, the only thing
> now is that all the accounts are transferred over but all their
> passwords are set to;
>
> "crypt{x}"
> instead of their NT password hashes... I'm not sure why this is? (well,
> I know why it is, because I had a look at the source for
> smbldap-useradd, but shouldn't vampire also set the password hashes
> correctly?)
-----
Indeed it should. I think that this occurs when the NT4 PDC doesn't
entirely trust the 'BDC' trying to do the vampire (like a setting isn't
right).

I would wipe out the users/machine accounts that were imported and try
again.

Make sure that samba is set up like a BDC (and I am doing this from
memory from more than 6 months ago)...
security = domain
domain master = yes
preferred master = no