[Samba] Domain logon against a Windows Server 2003 based AD

Marcus Franke Marcus.Franke at gmx.net
Tue Jul 13 07:23:40 GMT 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to configure my Mandrake V10 box to do user authentication
against an ActiveDirectory domain hostet on Windows Server 2003.

And guess what, I have some problems :)

I used drakauth (similar to authconfig on RedHat) to configure the
authentication against a windows domain. I was asked some questions
concerning domain, domain controller, administrator account and
password..

drakauth configured my smb.conf the following way:
[global]
	workgroup = IDEALTEC.LOCAL
	server string = Samba Server %v
	security = domain
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	password server = *
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 50
	character set = ISO8859-15
	os level = 18
	local master = No
	dns proxy = No
	winbind uid = 10000-20000
	winbind gid = 10000-20000
	winbind separator = +
	template homedir = /home/%D/%U
	template shell = /bin/bash
	winbind use default domain = yes

But after a net join, I get the following errors, when I try to logon
a domain user on my linux box:

Jul 12 16:56:22 linux kde3(pam_unix)[3610]: auth could not identify
password for [marcus]
Jul 12 16:56:22 linux winbindd[2410]: [2004/07/12 16:56:22, 0]
nsswitch/winbindd_util.c:get_trust_pw(951)
Jul 12 16:56:22 linux winbindd[2410]:   get_trust_pw: could not fetch
trust account password for my domain IDEALTEC.LOCAL
Jul 12 16:56:22 linux pam_winbind[3610]: request failed:
NT_STATUS_CANT_ACCESS_DOMAIN_INFO, PAM error was 4, NT error was
NT_STATUS_CANT_ACCESS_DOMAIN_INFO
Jul 12 16:56:22 linux pam_winbind[3610]: internal module error (retval =
4, user = `marcus'

I even modified in the ActiveDirectory the SecurityPrincipal "Everyone"
to be a member of the "pre-windows 2000 authentication" group, don't
know if the name is right, as I have a german version of Windows :)

Last things I modified on my linux box was to change the
security = domain to security = ads, as the net join gave me some
hints that it could not find the ads realm and had to use RPC for
interaction with my domain.

According to the man-page I set the following lines:
	security = ads
	.nf realm = dc-hh-001.idealtec.local

name resolution works, I have checked this, as I know how critical
DNS is for ActiveDirectory based domains.

Im currently working my way down the Samba-Howto-Collection Chapter 20:
Use of Domain Accounts, but currently Im somewhat puzzled, need to get
some ground under my feet..

Bye,
Marcus

--