[Samba] Samba 3.0.4 and kerberos 1.3.1

Andrey aoleinik at telus.net
Mon Jul 12 21:34:45 GMT 2004

Hi All,

I've been using samba 2.2.8a running on RedHat 9 as a PDC for almost a year by
now. Everything works great
even though it required some time to configure everything properly.

Our company decided to move to Active Directory running on Win2003 server....
I want to leave Samba as our file server, so I plan to use Samba 3.0.4 as a
domain member server.

I got one problem, though :-(
It is said in the John Terpstra's book, that it is required to use kerberos 1.3.
x to get Samba talking
to Active Directory properly.
RedHat 9 comes with kerberos version 1.2.7 and there's no way to remove/
reinstall/upgrade it via RPM
without breaking dependencies. Actually, if you use -nodeps switch to install,
let's say, kerberos 1.3.1, it
will crash you system.

The only way I see is to install kerberos from sources (tarballs). However, I
don't know what will happen
to the system, if I install a tarball over existing rpm installation. As far as
I know, that's highly not recommended.

Is there anybody who had managed to install Kerveros 1.3.x on Redhat 8/9 and
proved it worked properly?
I would really appreciate if you give me some clue how to do that.

Thanks a lot.

Andrey.