[Samba] SAMBA - PAM authentication

Alexander Varga AlexanderVarga at usske.sk
Mon Jul 12 11:00:17 GMT 2004

hi
I am running Samba 3.0.4 on solaris 9
in my smb.conf i defined

passdb backend = tdbsam:/usr/local/samba/private/passdb.tdb, smbpasswd:/usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
passwd program = /bin/passwd %u
passwort encription = yes

and in the pam.conf

login   auth sufficient         /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so.1
other   auth sufficient         /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so.1

but I alwais get
PAM_smbpass[5470]: [ID 772098 auth.alert] Cannot access samba password database
The problem is, that when i compiled samba, with:
(1)       ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/samba  --with-pam --with-pam_smbpass --with-acl-support --with-privatedir=/usr/local/samba/private --with-quotas
(2)       make
(3)       /export/home/install/_samba/samba-3.0.4/packaging/Solaris/makepkg.sh
(4)       pkgadd -d /tmp/samba.pkg
(5)       mkdir -p /usr/local/samba/private/

Anytime I create a user, (at first with useradd, and after it with smbpasswd -a) the file "/usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd"  has still zero size, so it cannot access none of the accounts from this file.

Recently I found "/usr/local/samba/bin/updatesmbpasswd.sh" which can something like transform the etc/passwd into a smbpasswd format.