[Samba] smbldap-tools, setting password on command line?

malte.mueller at ewetel.net malte.mueller at ewetel.net
Mon Jul 12 10:50:54 GMT 2004

Zitat von Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>:

> On Sun, 2004-07-11 at 13:33, malte.mueller at ewetel.net wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > the smbldap tools are a great thing to have, thanks a lot!
> > I just wonder if it would be possible to set a password via the command
> line, like:
> > smbldap-passwd.pl testuser1 not24get
> > I have to create accounts for several hundreds people every year and give
> them
> > an immutable password. So long I do that with smbpasswd, ldappasswd and a
> tiny
> > script around these tools. I tried
> > smbldap-passwd.pl testuser1 < pass
> > where pass contains on two lines the passwort, but thats a solution I'm
> not
> > proud of, especially since I get this warning/error:
> > fileserver:~ # /opt/samba3/sbin/smbldap-passwd.pl testuser2 < testpasses
> > Changing password for testuser2
> > stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> > New password :
> > stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> > stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> > Retype new password :
> > stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> >
> > Is there any straight-forward solution?
> >
> ----
> yeah, a working configuration. Suggest that you turn up your logging
> levels.
>
> smbpasswd user
>
> will prompt for a password for user and if properly configured, pass the
> changed password to the mechanism in place (in your case, smbldap-tools)
> but only if properly configured.
>
> Best guess... you have a 'ldap admin dn' set which needs to have
> modification privileges to your ldap server for most everything. Either
> you haven't set the password for this account in secrets.tdb (smbpasswd
> -w PASSWORD_FOR_LDAP_ADMIN_DN) or your ldap acl's don't permit desired
> changes.
>
> Craig

Thanks Craig,
i set the ldap-admin password correctly. For testing i also set the access
rights in slapd.conf to:
access to *
        by * write

Anyway, the tools basically work, the unexpected behaviour only shows up when
redirecting stdin from a file.
Ok, i think i have to live with it or write my own smbldap-useradd(.java) ;)

Kind regards,
Malte Mueller