[Samba] 3.0.4 Off By 1 Error ?

linux_devel_uk@yahoo.co.uk linux_devel_uk at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 12 09:42:50 GMT 2004

I have a Samba 3.0.4 server using LDAP to authenticate
and running on a HA cluster supporting around 1,000
users.  When users connect with Win2K (just now I've
limited this to Win2k machines), I have a large number
of errors like this :

(172.16.3.3) couldn't find service notepa

Now, the service here is actually called 'notepad'.

I have redirected folders in the user profiles to
store parts of their profile outside the profile -
fairly standard stuff and all well documented in the
Samba documentation.  These are in a share called
'FOLDERS'.

Unfortunately, to get this to work, I also had to
create a second duplicate shared called 'FOLDER' - 1
character shorter.

For some reason, on some occasions this is called as
'FOLDERS' (correctly) and on others as 'FOLDER' - one
character dropped, just like in the other example
above.

Home directories do the same - sometimes correctly
called, and sometimes called with 1 character less
than what is supposed to be there.

Overall, this looks like a classic off-by-one error,
but I don't know if this is a Win2K problem or a Samba
problem.

It seems to happen with all shares and is quite
inconvenient.  I've not experienced this problem prior
to 3.0.4 (we've been using samba since before 2.0).

Has anyone seen this or have any suggestions as to
what the problem may be ?

Thanks