[Samba] Profiles

Alex Satrapa alex.satrapa at anu.edu.au
Mon Jul 12 05:19:47 GMT 2004

On 12 Jul 2004, at 13:31, B.Rumsey wrote:

> I am able to log into  it but windows complains about not being able
> to find
> the profile. I have created the dir /var/lib/samba/profiles/ and the
> users
> folders.
>
> 1: Where  can I find the windows default profile?
> 2: Can this be edited (default win profile )?

The default profile in a Domain is in [netlogon]/Default User

It appears from my experimentation that the local PC will only use the
".../Default User" profile if the local "C:\Documents and
Settings\Default User" folder has been deleted. I'll let others on the
list correct my mistake.

To edit the default profile, I ended up building a "foobar" profile was
setting everything "just the way I want it", then logging out. On the
Samba server, I then copied that profile:
   cp -a foobar ../netlogon/Default\ User
   chmod -R a+rx ../netlogon/Default\ User

To test, I deleted foobar's directory from "C:\Documents and Settings"
and the Samba server's profiles directory then logged on again as
foobar. I had set the default profile to be the "Silver" XP theme with
the "Radiance" desktop picture, with Firefox as the web browser, and
Thunderbird as the mail reader. This is quite distinctive, especially
when compared with the Windows 2000-style default user that seems to
come with Windows XP Pro (why not a Windows XP (default) theme?). As a
final touch, I have a logon script that maps the user's home directory
to H:, and I set "My Documents" to be H:.

When I logged on as foobar, the system complained that it couldn't find
the server profile, then it complained that it couldn't find the local
profile, then it gave me my custom Default User profile, along with the
My Documents mapped to H:.

Further reading:
John H. Terpstra's "The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide" at
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/
ProfileMgmt.html#id2579234

Note that I'm a little confused by this block of text:
> When MS Windows 200x/XP participates in a domain security context, and
> if the default user profile is not found, then the client will search
> for a default profile in the NETLOGON share of the authenticating
> server. In MS Windows parlance,%LOGONSERVER%\NETLOGON\Default User,
> and if one exists there it will copy this to the workstation to the
> C:\Documents and Settings\ under the Windows login name of the user.

>  If a default profile does not exist in this location, then MS Windows
> 200x/XP will use the local default profile.

This indicates that the default user profile is checked both first and
last, unless "the default user profile" means something other than the
Domain-provided "Default User" or the local "Default User".

Sweet.
Alex