[Samba] smbldap-tools, setting password on command line?

malte.mueller at ewetel.net malte.mueller at ewetel.net
Sun Jul 11 20:33:58 GMT 2004

Hi,

the smbldap tools are a great thing to have, thanks a lot!
I just wonder if it would be possible to set a password via the command line, like:
smbldap-passwd.pl testuser1 not24get
I have to create accounts for several hundreds people every year and give them
an immutable password. So long I do that with smbpasswd, ldappasswd and a tiny
script around these tools. I tried
smbldap-passwd.pl testuser1 < pass
where pass contains on two lines the passwort, but thats a solution I'm not
proud of, especially since I get this warning/error:
fileserver:~ # /opt/samba3/sbin/smbldap-passwd.pl testuser2 < testpasses
Changing password for testuser2
stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device
New password :
stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device
stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Retype new password :
stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Is there any straight-forward solution?

With kind regards,
Malte Mueller