[Samba] Printing banners

David Nash nashd at macandmac.co.uk
Sun Jul 11 11:02:15 GMT 2004

Hi

I'm running Samba 2.2.8a on a UnixWare 7.1.3 box.  I'd set up the Samba
printer shares, and it seemed to be working fine (only live for a couple
of weeks).  However, I've just added some heavy users, and the printer
daemon keeps bombing out.  I'd configured the printers to use lpr, but
someone suggested I should use lp, so I thought I'd give this a go at
the weekend.

The printers are TCP/IP on Axis print servers.  I've set them up in
UnixWare as type 'other' and routing through to the correct IP address.
A SCO person told me to do the following

lpadmin -p <printer-name> -I "pcl raw"

lpshut

lpsched

He then said to run 'lpadmin -p -l | pg' to check the filter is
available, but I don't know what this is supposed to do - I get an error
saying "The names "any" "all" and "non" are reserved".

In smb.conf I have

[global]

printing = lp

[printers]

path = /var/spool/samba

create mask = 0700

prinable = yes

browseable = yes

print command = lp -c -d%p -o raw %s; rm %s

If I run 'lp -c -d printername -o raw -o nobanner test.txt' UnixWare
prints the file, but at the top left hand corner it prints

'Jul 10 16:45 2004  Page 1'

If I print a Word document through the Samba share, I get two pages.
The first is blank apart from 'Jul 10 16:45 2004  Page 1' in the top
left hand corner (printed in default Courier font or similar). The
second page is the actual Word test document, but in the bottom left
hand corner it says 'Jul 10 16:45 2004  Page 2' in the same font as that
used for the rest of the Word document (Arial).

I don't know what's causing this 'banner' or page header/footer.  I've
been looking at the lp scripts etc, but I can't see anything obvious,
but I don't really know what UnixWare is doing with the print request.
I'm also not sure if it's something to do with the 'raw' filter not
being there, but I would have thought that if that was the case, then
I'd get garbage or nothing at all.

Thanks in advance

David